- Teacher 1 Insights: How much I've been inspired - can't wait for Monday! I've also been encouraged to continue some of my work as I now feel confident I'm on the right track. I try to integrate the different areas of maths and I do draw lots of diagrams on the whiteboard. Translation to Action: Open ended questions to begin maths sessions. To ask more questions and to get the kids to do more thinking. Further support needed?: Session 2. Will buy the books.
- Teacher 2 Insights: Very subtle changes in thinking, and how to talk to students. Translation to Action: Set up key words in my room. Change how I add words to my Word Wall. 20 word reflection.
- Teacher 3 Insights: How to support children in understanding relationships between % fractions and decimals. Translation to Action: As a TRT I can use these activities as evidence for class teachers - and 'where to next?' for my own adventure!. Further support needed?: More of the same. Many thanks!
- Teacher 4 Insights: How to structure open-ended activities. Keywords. Planning guide re abilities. Translation to Action: Start implementing these tasks to engage and cater for student abilities. Further support needed?: Literacy - writing lesson/teaching strategies for struggling writers.
- Teacher 5 Insights: Lessening the control in teaching. How to extend the one task by offering a question/nudge. Translation to Action: Next ... Fishbowl planning - look back in resources for planning. Further support needed?: List of warm-up activities and open-ended problems/activities for Number, Measurement and Data. Loved it! Thank you.
- Teacher 6 Insights: So many different ways to do things that are just fun! Don't be afraid. Translation to Action: Will be actually doing these activities and watching the way kids react/interact and learn. Further support needed?: Further sessions will be attended. These ideas are just so cross-age appropriate.
- Teacher 7 Insights: Fun open ended activities are easy to plan and differentiate. Translation to Action: Adapted/Used within a range of year levels. Further support needed?: More please!
- Teacher 8 Insights: A greater understanding of how to teach Maths more effectively as opposed to stumbling through and glazing over key points/teachable moments. Further support needed?: How to transfer these into a secondary setting, and keep it enjoyable and fun.
- Teacher 9 Insights: Confidence in creating/delivering differentiation. Ways to think creatively. Translation to Action: I have use all learning from a past (Rob) session in my teaching. Will use and adapt to suit the needs of my students. Further support needed?: Will continue to attend Rob's sessions and access the website etc. Great work Rob! I will continue coming to your sessions!
- Teacher 10 Insights: Great ways to use open ended tasks. Translation to Action: Great initial assessments and whole class engagement options, plus lesson activities that allow us to get in and work with kids. Further support needed?: Multi step word problem solving. Strategies and examples to draw on.
On Saturday 2nd June teachers from Department for Education, Catholic Education and Independent schools attended our 'Catering For All Maths Abilities R-7' Master Class. There was some very positive feedback from participants on their key learnings/ insights gained from the session. Rob Vingerhoets, a very experienced principal, teacher and presenter, engaged, informed and entertained for 4 hours. Here is a selection of the feedback from teachers:
Sharon Callen is an experienced teacher, author and literacy consultant. Since 2000 she has worked in schools in Australia and the USA helping improve literacy learning by explicitly modelling in classrooms and guiding leadership.
Phil Callen is Executive Director of Cue Learning, and former Executive Director of the Council of Education Associations of SA and Secretary of the Australian Professional Teachers Association.
They both active teachers and principal consultants with Cue Learning, an education consultancy which provides highly practical, research based professional development for teachers and leaders in schools.